Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Worstest Music Video

Afroman is a great rap artist. Most of his songs ring true to man people and focus on the more humorous side of life. I have always loved “Crazy Rap” ever since the first night I heard it. I was with a few of my friends on the way to my girlfriend’s birthday party. Ever since then the song has been played multiple times in my car or room or sang during track practice. In reality, he is singing every man’s dreams while making fun of the fact that none of it would ever occur to any real man.

This video is the worst that I have ever seen because for a rap video it does not objectify women enough to be legitimate. Nor does it really follow the story that I had created when I listened to it over and over. I had imagined that he was traveling across the world and getting with all of these ladies. Rather than getting all of these women he just orders take-out from multiple different restaurants of different types. I just hoped to see all of these exotic areas and was severely disappointed in the video. He could have shown the volcanoes or Hawaii or the big cities of Japan or even Rodeo drive of California, but instead it’s all at his house. The other thing that I had a problem with is that there are just four random guys chilling in a backyard, which is not even his. By the way his house is portrayed it definitely was a lot larger than the one in those scenes.

Otherwise, the song is still a great song and the car was definitely an Afroman car. But then again, he seems poor in the song when he has to be selling his cds on a corner or will have to sell his Cadillac for weed money. This does not match up with his portrayal of himself in the video. All around the video just doesn’t follow the song very well and that’s why it’s the worst music video I’ve ever seen.

2 comments:

Ian said...

I agree with what you’re saying about how the song is a good song, but the video is kind of a let down. The song itself sets you up for a whole lot of different things, but in the video all he does is the same thing. He doesn’t ever seem to go anywhere; he just kind of stays put. In the beginning, he starts out by telling a story to some friends, but at the end he never finishes telling them the story, so nobody knows the exact way that it ended. Although I don’t think that this is the worst video I’ve seen, it’s definitely a let down from the song.

Regina said...

I would agree that I would expect a lot different things for this video. Even so, I am glad that it is not what you would seem. I think that if they made the video go along with the words and theme of the song it would have made it truly one of the dirtiest music videos out there. I like the approach they took for the video because it’s not like a lot of other rap videos that come out now. It’s more comical than showing off all different kinds of women and cars and what not.