Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What I Remember

Randomly this is the first music video I actually remember seeing this video on MTV. I thought it was really crazy. I remember being creeped out by Marilyn Manson and his entire band while sitting on the couch of my Aunt’s house downstairs. The video is definitely very creepy as he is dressed goth for the entire video and is just kinda playing with the most random things that are found in medical centers. Marilyn Manson definitely has some issues, but I think he has great insight into the world we live in and is one of the most vocally talented artists to live.

The Beautiful People can be considered the people of America. He is showing that all of the people of America are restrained like those of either a prison or a insane asluym. In reality he is right. He is saying that although we are told that we are free, we still must abide by so many laws that we are in effect in a straight jacket that restrains us from true freedom. He definitely is talking about the extremes of life and capitalism, but the music is great especially with John 5 on guitar. He is simply amazing and I think the goth dress makes for irony in the whole Beautiful People thing because in the video there is no one that would be considered beautiful. I think he is very intelligent and makes good points about the life we live in even though some of his beliefs put him outside of the normal realm of society.

Marilyn Manson definitely has the widest range of vocals of all time. In his remake of the Nightmare Before Christmas, he sings in at least five different voices to imitate the different characters of the movie. The voices are not just any random voices but are harmonic and very soothing if you listen to his music. I respect the man and I really do like a lot of his music.

3 comments:

Meghan Koehn said...

Wow good job Drake. You really seemed to find the real meaning of the song. It is true that Marilyn Manson truly revolutionised metal music. It is true that his music was not widley accepted by the listeners. Although there are thsoe select few that really enjoy his music. As quoted from Bryce "Marilyn Manson is a God among men." I do have to ageree with you that his videos are really really creepy. I also really liked how you compared the song to the people in the world that seem to need to get out of a situation. Excellent job on teh assignment.

dylann said...

Wow, I am going to have nightmares now. That video was really creepy. I liked how you talked about the message. I believe you are right when you say it is at the total extremes of the spectrum. Marilyn does make some good points, but I think it is over the top. I think at the end of the video you lost some of your focus on the main video. I can see why you put it in. I also respect him. I like some of his music, but he is really creepy to me. I will stick to my ipod and not watch anymore of his videos.

Phil said...

Although country is my favorite kind of music, in second would have to be hard rock / heavy metal. So in fact I do enjoy this song and remember listening to Marilyn Manson with my brothers all the time! I really like how you go into the meaning of the video and where you first saw the video and such. Also, I liked it because it made me think of my brothers and how we used to play video games and listen to music. Though the music is a little crazy and some people do understand it I still like it.